So this is the time when I am really disappointed that I did not bring the camera cord so that I could up load pictures for you guys, because Kaleb and I just spent 24 hours in a game park. We left town early Monday morning and drove two hours north where we entered the first gate. We were of course so excited to see a family of elephants, not realizing there would be hundreds we would see before the end of our trip. Along the way we enjoyed seeing eland, oryx, impalla, waterbuck, zebra, dik dik, warthog, merekat, buffalo, and hartebeast. We arrived at our lodge just after noon with plans to rest for a short time; however, less than 30 yards away, right outside our room was a watering hole where family after family of elephants came to drink. After elephants watching and rest, we headed back out for another drive. We had gotten word that a pack of lions had taken down a buffalo earlier and were feasting, so we headed to check it out. When we first arrived, all we could see were black specks amongst tall grass, but we patiently waited it out and one lion ventured our way to a watering hole. He was literally 30 feet from our car. After this exciting drive, we drove back to the lodge, had supper, and retreated to our rooms where we listened to elephants blowing their trumpets outside our room all night long. Early Tuesday morning we ventured out again to see if the lions were still there. This time we found lion and hyena. The lions were still full from their big feast Monday, but the hyenas were waiting for their turn at the leftovers. We hung out here a while because there was a large group of zebra venturing really close to the lion and hyena. It first looked like the hyenas were beginning to circle the zebras in an attempt to attack, but nothing exciting. They did both chase each other around a bit, but no cool attacks. Our last game drive after breakfast we were able to see one lone giraffe and gerenuk. Another highlight of our short trip....first warm shower in over a month!
Wednesday morning I went over to the our host's home to spend with his wife. She was having another friend over to teach her a little about a literacy program she has previously taught to locals. I so enjoyed looking over these materials with these women, because so much of this ministry that they are providing correlates so well with my degree. I was encouraged to, in the future, seek out these ministry opportunities in the states, such as teaching English, literacy.......and maybe even brushing up on my Spanish skills. I know it really means a lot to others when you can greet them and attempt to converse with them in their native language. How vast the ministries that are available in the states with so many foreigners coming to us! That afternoon we met for ESL with the Pakistani ladies. Pray that the ladies who are leading this ministry would be able to find materials suitable for Kenya and are gospel focused. Pray also for wisdom for them in how to structure the class, where they may could meet in the future, and babysitters for the women with small children.
Friday I was able to spend another lunch with the amazing women our host's wife meets with for Bible study. I am encouraged more and more as I meet with them, hear their wisdom, and pray with them. Each of these women love the Lord and have a heart for reaching cousins. I am most impressed at how they hold each other accountable to sharing the gospel. These women are so bold and have stories each time I meet with them of new people they are sharing with. I pray this earnesty has rubbed off on me while I have been here.
Kaleb was able to meet with the Bible students again to teach them more about sermon preparation. He has really enjoyed being able to teach as well as getting to know these guys. Pray he would have these opportunities when we get back to the states.
Saturday we were scheduled for another full day of evangelism training with a youth group a couple of hours from here. Unfortunately, we both were not feeling well and had already planned not to go. Coincidentally, first thing in the morning we received news that Kaleb's grandfather had passed away. So our day was spent trying to coordinate an earlier flight home for the funeral. Although we spent most of the day working on this, we got no where and were discouraged. We had decided that the Lord wanted us to stay and finish out our time here and then we received word that flights were available to get us back to the states Monday night. The funeral is Tuesday morning. Surely you can see how the Lord worked this out.
We spent our last day here going to one of the Bible student's small village church for worship, ate a yummy Indian lunch, and played a final game of Catan with our host's family. We are sad to be leaving here early and are trying to soak up as much time with this family as we can before having to leave. We will spend Sunday night and all day Monday traveling home. Please pray all our flights would leave and land on time so that we can make each connecting flight. Please be in prayer for Kaleb's family during this time of loss.
No comments:
Post a Comment